In a recent book that I have read “Digital Impact” by Vipin Mayar and Geoff Ramsey, they explain all benefits of creating “magnetic content” to get your message across with your digital marketing and social media marketing campaign. In today’s digital lifestyle, you need magnetic content to stay at the top. You must have heard that content is king a thousand times, but what exactly is magnetic content?
If you can create magnetic content that catches the attention of the people you are interested to reach and they share the content with their own network and community, you have successfully produced magnetic content. This content is not always just “text” and it could be in the form of images, videos or just an infographic. In plain English: it is content you create to engage with people online.
Here’s a couple of reasons why you should focus on creating magnetic content.
Benefits of magnetic content
- Social media marketing: If you create magnetic content, it has the ability to go viral and be shared by many. This can also help you get more followers on your social media profiles.
- Branding: The more often your magnetic content is viewed, the more your brand will be exposed.
- Sales: At the end of the day, digital marketing is mostly about increasing sales. With magnetic content you can increase targeted traffic to your website, ultimately leading to sales.
- SEO: Magnetic content can increase your search engine rankings. The more your magnetic content gets shared, the more inbound links it can generate.
- Trust: When your magnetic content is shared, it is similar to receiving a recommendation. This can help you build a trusted online reputation.
Time is the key with magnetic content
You don’t have to create and publish magnetic content everyday. Time is the key with magnetic content, as one piece of content starts fading in popularity, publish another piece. This will help you to keep your brand and business in front of people’s eyes. It can also make people talking about your business over a long period of time.
Creating magnetic content is not easy and it should always be created as an extension of your overall digital marketing campaign. If you have the budget, you can always outsource this to an agency with experience in creating this type of content. Most businesses outsource video content with the aim to make it go viral, and it makes perfect sense to do the same if you have an awesome idea for an infographic. There is also no reason why you shouldn’t outsource your blog or website text content if you are not comfortable with writing. Create magnetic content and your business will reap the rewards.
Anton is a social media strategist, digital marketing consultant, and an online reputation management specialist with an emphasis on Web 2.0 technologies. He is passionate about digital marketing and as a social media strategist enjoys designing and implementing strategic plans and business systems around Web 2.0 technologies.