Christina Warren | Mashable
Self-hosted WordPress users, fire up your update engines. WordPress 3.5 is now available for download. WordPress 3.5 brings in lots of under the hood enhancements, as well as a few new user-facing features.
Other sites have done a great job of breaking down the new features, but here are some of the highlights:
- A New Default Theme Dubbed Twenty Twelve that is both responsive and clean
- The Dashboard supports HiDPI — aka Retina — displays
- Users can once again import content from Tumblr. Thanks Andrew Nacin for the clarification
- A totally rewritten and reworked Media Manager that makes adding and finding images much better
- Support for Instagram, SoundCloud and Slideshare embeds. Just put in a URL for a piece of media and it embeds in the post
Of course, the bulk of the changes to WordPress 3.5 are on the backend. Over the last eight years, WordPress has evolved from a blogging platform into a CMS that powers about 17% of the web. As a result, the core WordPress team has worked hard on making sure the platform can support a growing number of sites and use cases.